Coming to Canada from Ukraine

Here are more details to assist Ukrainians to come to Canada to find refuge until it is safe to return to Ukraine, or to stay in Canada.

If you are inside Canada
Ukrainian workers, students and visitors and their family members who are already in Canada, are eligible to apply through CUAET. Applications may be made to either extend visitor visas (visitor record) and work permits for up to three years, or to apply for new work or study permits. IRCC will waive all processing fees for such applications made from within Canada.
Ukraine citizens who are students
Students of elementary or secondary school age can register to attend school as soon as they are ready to do so in Canada. Post secondary level students can apply for a study permit once they have arrived in Canada.
Passports and travel documents
Individuals without a valid passport and wishing to apply for CUAET, may still do so. IRCC will assess their application and if successful, will issue a single-journey travel document. Those who do not have a passport, but a National Identity Document (all Ukrainians have a national ID card) can use this as a form of identification and to obtain a single-journey travel document to come to Canada.
COVID-19 vaccinations needed
Ukrainians and their family members coming into Canada are exempt from the vaccination entry requirements. However, such individuals must still meet the requirements dictated by Public Safety Canada regarding COVID-19 testing and quarantine.
All travelers to Canada must use the ArriveCan app to provide information to the Government of Canada. Ukrainians and their families arriving through CUAET, must also do so. There are very few exceptions to this rule. ArriveCan is free of charge, easily downloadable, and accessible on mobile devices an through the web.
Pro-bono immigration services
Upper Canada Immigration Consultants is part of a contingent of immigration practitioners who are offering some pro bono (i.e. free) services to Ukrainians. For more information on CUAET, or guidance and advice on how to assist your relatives and friends who have been displaced by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, please contact us.

Frequestly-asked questions

Here are some common issues and questions, and the answers (or the start of an answer) to them. For more details, please call us. Use your mobile phone and WhatsApp to call at 647-988-3846. See full contact detail here.

Q. I want to come to Canada permanently now. How can I do this?

A. There are several existing immigration programs and streams that will facilitate an application from you for permanent residency in Canada. These are not part of the CUAET initiative.

Q. I have close relatives living in Canada. Can I join them, and live permanently?

A. In response to the crisis in Ukraine, IRCC is currently developing a special stream to address reunification of family members. Details on eligibility criteria, timelines for processing and how this stream will work will be released by IRCC in the near future. This permanent resident stream is going to be in addition to CUAET, which will assist you to immediately seek safety, temporarily, if you already have relatives in Canada.

Q. How can an employer offer work to qualified Ukrainians?

A. By using Job Bank, which is a secure and free bilingual website that hosts thousands of jobs, and facilitates job seekers’ applications, employers can register jobs on the specialized Ukraine webpage. A network of community groups and agencies will be monitoring this webpage and making connections between posted job vacancies and Ukrainians who are qualified for those positions.

Q. Can consultants guarantee eligibility for Ukrainians?

A. It usually starts like this: “I have been approached by someone who said that they can guarantee getting my Ukrainian relatives eligible for CUAET. They quoted me a price. Is this legitimate?”

Be skeptical. We are aware that scammers are trying to charge fees to improperly assert that they can make Ukrainians eligible to come to Canada. This is a simple process, and no reputable consultant will charge a needy Ukrainian to process an application. You should only retain services of regulated immigration consultants (or lawyers) to assist you with application preparation. Ask for their regulatory membership number and search for them under the CCIC’s website before you retain their services. See our profile at the CAPIC web site.

  • The government of Canada has waived all processing fees for applications and biometrics collection, both within Canada and outside Canada;
  • IRCC is the only entity that assesses and decides on who will be coming to Canada under CUAET;
  • There is no fee for consideration or for pre-qualifying for CUAET. Many experienced consultants like myself are rendering our services pro bono (which means ‘free’) to our new Ukrainian friends who are in crisis;
  • Although we charge no fee for our professional services, we still prepare a Retainer Agreement, and follow the rules laid out in our CCIC’s Code of Professional Ethics. We provide advice, guidance and assist in preparing and submitting CUAET online applications on behalf of the applicant.

Q. So many questions. Where do people go to get answers?

A. This is an emotional and uncertain time if you are Ukrainian, know people who are Ukrainian, or come from a Ukrainian family. Your friends and family members may be asking questions about coming to Canada. You should not guess what the answers are. IRCC has dedicated an immigration enquiries telephone service line specifically for answering Ukrainian-related questions and providing information.

This telephone line is free of charge in Canada, and will also accept collect calls from abroad: (613) 321-4243. You may also direct your inquiry through the IRCC crisis webform, inserting Ukraine2022 in the subject box, and it will be prioritized.

Click or tap here for the Ukrainian crisis web form.