Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Project details FAQ


he Atlantic Immigration Pilot Project is aimed at encouraging and attracting experienced, skilled and qualified immigrants to the lesser-known and more sparsely-populated provinces of Canada. It is employer driven, meaning the initial challenge for any individual wishing to apply for permanent residency to Canada through this pilot, is to obtain a job offer from a designated employer.

Each of the four Atlantic Canada provinces: Newfoundland & Labrador; Prince Edward Island; Nova Scotia and New Brunswick is actively recruiting employers for the project. The list of interested employers is growing. The responsibility of finding a job is on the potential applicant. The threshold for language proficiency and proof of settlement funds is much more attractive than for Express Entry. And more importantly, it is not points based, as in the case of Express Entry.

Here are the most commonly-asked Questions and Answers about the program.

Q: Which Provinces are in the Atlantic Immigration Pilot project?

A: New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Q: What are the eligibility criteria?

A: The most important condition is a job offer. Obtaining that job offer is your responsibility. Other conditions include formal education and proven work experience, English or French language skills and settlement funds.

Q: What are the different streams?

  • High-skilled workers;
  • Intermediate-skilled workers;
  • International graduates (from one of the four provinces).

Q: I am currently living and educated outside Canada. How do I start?

A: Once you retain our services to help you, we will submit your academic certificates and diplomas to get them assessed for their equivalency to Canadian education. Obtaining a Credential Assessment Report is necessary. We will also help you to identify the closest language testing centre to your address, in your country, if testing is available in your country. Taking this test and scoring the minimum level in English or French is another prerequisite for this program.

Q: What type of job offer must I have?

A: Your job offer must be self-initiated and from a designated employer in one of the four Atlantic Immigration Pilot program provinces. In other words, for your job offer to qualify for this program, the employer must be designated by the province to participate in the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program. Unlike Express Entry job offers, this job offer does not have to be approved by the federal government (LMIA-based) for acceptance in the program.

Your job offer must be for 30 hours per week and not a seasonal type of job. It does not necessarily have to be in the same occupation as your past job, but it will have to match the requirements of your chosen NOC code. Additionally:

  1. For High-skilled workers, the offer must be for at least one year from the date you obtain permanent residency;
  2. For Intermediate-skilled workers, the offer must be a permanent job;
  3. For International students, the offer must be for at least one year from the date you obtain permanent residency.

Q: What is the NOC (National Occupation Classification)?

A: Every job in Canada is classified under a system (the National Occupation Classification) that allocates a code with specific requirements for performing that job, mandatory qualifications and expected work conditions. Retaining our services means that you do not have to worry about this; we will review and analyze your work experience, your qualifications and your job offer to ensure that you are on the right path.

Q: After I get a job offer, what is my next step?

A: If you are outside of Canada, there are specific immigrant settlement agencies in Canada that will conduct an assessment of your needs and prepare a settlement plan for you and each member of your family. We will help to connect you to them. Once you receive your settlement plan, you will provide it to the employer who made the job offer to you. The employer will submit it to the province for an endorsement.

Q: After I receive an endorsement, what happens next?

A: If the province endorses your job offer, you will be issued an Endorsement Certificate. You will now be ready to start the application for permanent residency.

Q: Are there any fees?

A: The processing fees for permanent residency applies: (Cdn $550), as well as the right of permanent residence fee (Cdn $490) for the applicant. The same is required for the spouse or common-law partner. The fee for any dependent child under the age of 22 is Cdn $150.  Adults are also charged an $85  fee for providing biometrics.

Q: How much settlement funds do I need to show?

A: Since you will have a job offer, the threshold for determining your eligibility regarding the funds you must bring with you to settle in Canada is very much lower than for Express Entry. Determining how much you must have to prove to the Visa Officer in your country is based on how many members there are in your family, even if they will not accompany you to Canada:

Family Members Settlement Funds Required
1 $3,303
2 $4,112
3 $5,055
4 $6,138
5 $6,962
6 $7,852
7 $8,742

• Each additional family member requires additional settlement funds of $890. For example, a family of eight people will require $9,632 in total settlement funds

Q: What kind of proof does the Visa Officer need?

A: This money must not be borrowed from someone (to be returned). It must be available for you to settle in Canada. Proof includes actual funds in the bank; stocks and bonds that can be liquidated; bank drafts and travellers’ cheques.